11.28.2011

4th Thursday no matter what...

After spending the last 2 Thanksgivings away from home, I realized the following differences:


US Thanksgiving
DR Thanksgiving
Holiday!
Work day…granted it was a half day!
Sleep in and stay pajamas until about 11am!
Up and at ‘em at 6am…not in my pajamasJ
Help mom cook
Ate pizza for lunch
After lunch watch the Cowboys play with dad (this was the best part of my day)
Come home and sleep b/c I now finally have a break!!
Come home from relatives and have a relaxing evening watching a movie or more football!
Start cooking mashed potatoes for intercultural Doulos Thanksgiving dinner where we eat everything from traditional turkey and mashed potatoes to roasted pig and Dominican potato/egg salad. Beautiful night!!


Not one is better or worse, but just different from each other. Last year, I was able to grasp this fact and actually delight in the differences, but this year was hard. I haven't put my finger on it as to why yet, but I promise I will keep wrestling with it until the Lord brings something out in me. 

Meanwhile, check out this picture of my roommate putting up our Christmas decorations in a tank top and shorts while the sun is shining!! Only in the DR... I must say our decor this year is super cute, so stay tuned to see those...